Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Rescuing Star Wars from George Lucas

The Walt Disney Company, in a move that gives it a commanding position in the realm of fantasy movies, said Tuesday it had agreed to acquire Lucasfilm Ltd. from its founder, George Lucas, for $4.05 billion in stock and cash.

The sale provides a corporate home for a private company that grew from Mr. Lucas’s hugely successful “Star Wars” series, and became an enduring force in creating effects-driven science fiction entertainment for large and small screens. Mr. Lucas, who is 68 years old, had already announced he would step down from day-to-day operation of the company.

Disney said in a statement that it would revive the “Star Wars” franchise with new feature films, and that Mr. Lucas would serve as creative consultant on them. Star Wars Episode 7 is scheduled to be released in 2015, with more films expected to follow, the company said.
--Michael Cieply, NYT, on Mickey Mouse taking over the Empire