Saturday, December 21, 2013

The speed [sic] of the finance publication process

Glenn Ellison published a paper back in 2002 about how the economics publishing process has slowed dramatically over time. Figure 1 from that paper:


Finance journals have a reputation for being much quicker than economics journals. But as I was browsing the December 2013 issue of the Journal of Finance today, I was struck by the long intervals between the first and final submission dates of the articles. I decided to tabulate them more systematically. Here's what I found:

On the other hand, the January 2014 issue of the Journal of Financial Economics contains articles that on average completed the process much more quickly, consistent with the reputation of finance journals.
As far as I can tell, the Review of Financial Studies doesn't disclose article-by-article timelines, so I couldn't include a graph for it.