Thursday, January 1, 2015

How to overcome unspeakable emotional trauma

Regarding Louie Zamperini, protagonist of the book and movie Unbroken:

So many elements of Louie's saga were enthralling, but one in particular hooked me. He told of having experienced almost unimaginable abuse at the hands of his [Japanese WWII] captors, yet spoke without self-pity or bitterness. In fact, he was cheerful, speaking with perfect equanimity. When he finished his story, I had one question: How can you tell of being victimized by such monstrous men, yet not express rage? His response was simple: Because I forgave them.

It was this, more than anything, that hooked me. How could this man forgive the unforgivable? In setting out to write Louie's biography, I set out to find the answer.
--Laura Hillenbrand, author of Unbroken