Thursday, June 25, 2015

Shredding $20 bills to get yourself into the office early

Rare original blog content below:

You may have seen stories about the alarm clock that shreds money unless you wake up. But as far as I can tell, this is just a concept product, not something you can actually buy.

Well, today, I learned that one economist has ingeniously cobbled together her own money-shredding commitment device to get her into the office early. She writes:
I just take a 20 dollar paper shredder and plug it into a 10 dollar outlet timer, which I set to turn on at 8:30am. As soon as the shredder gets power, it'll shred whatever is already placed on top of the feed slot. It works well!
In a follow-up response, she writes:
I only put $20 in an envelope on the shredder. I've only lost $60 so far, using it maybe 1/4 of the days I'm in the office.
What I need is such a device to be installed inside my gym locker.